First of all, Chen admitted he was guilty of perjury and falsification of documents. There is no question about it.
What about his defense on corruption charges?
(A) Chen compared the alleged corruption amount of NTD14.8M in three years vs his volunteered wage reduction of NT$5.5M/year. Then compared the total amount og his wage difference for 8 years (i.e. to 2008) vs the alleged amount for 2003-2005. It is easy to see the logical flaw here. (一個月剩四十二萬，一年十三個半月，因為薪水減半，一年就少領了五百五十萬，四年就少領兩千兩百萬、六年三千三百萬、八年四千四百萬，由此大家好好想想，我有必要拿發票貪污一千四百八十萬？)
- (a) If Chen continues to does this, before 2002 and beyond 2005, the total amount would have been NT$14.8/3x8=NT$40M. vs NT$44M wage saving
- (b) Prosecutor Eric Chen only pointed out the obvious, i.e. the rest of the State Affair Budget is also suspucious, though there was not enough evidence. The amount is about 2-3x the alleged (confirmed) corruption amount
- (c) There are other avenues of corruption, such as Sogo Gift Certificate, son-in-law cases, etc.
- I am not saying he is guilty on all these scandals/charges. I am just saying that there is enough financial incentive, which is much larger than the salary reduction, which is quite insignificant.
- (My personal opinion is that, the base salary should be raised to at least on par with that of Singapore, since Taiwan is a bigger economy than Singapore)
- Chen needs to elborate on the arithmetics here, better ask an accountant to list the cashflow in a table. i.e. list the breakdown of his claimed 5 year expenditure of NT$94M, and be able to explain that there is no other source of fund that has paid for any of these items. Yes, very simple arithmetic. Chen should just publish this cashflow statement.
1) Fake reimbursement started before previous secret fund (Dang Yang) was closed
2) At least NT$1.8M spent on gift for "First Lady" (not on so-called diplomacy) - CSB admitted to Eric Chen
4) 卡西迪發聲明 駁斥陳水扁「訊息錯誤」
6) 單據如果是別人的，我們不會知道，除非有人檢舉，這個案子就是6月有人檢舉...Chart: President vs Auditor