- It is impossible for Ah Bian to cut himself clean from his son-in-law Chao. You can't cut something that is non-static and moving. Only when you cut off can you cut the loss. The scandals are like mud-slide, how do you cut off a mud-slide?
- Now it became a public trial of Chen Shui Bian on the media. Evidences are not necessarily verified. People would assume the accusations are true as they are keen to watch.
- Bian got his best lawyer to defend Chao. Some people picked on this. But this is only natural, as relationship by blood cannot be cut off. Even if he did not do this, he still could get himself clean from the mess. [So why bother?] However, the spirit of our legal system is everybody (even if we know he is guilty for murder) is entitled to a fair case and the best lawyer he could get. We need to separate law and politics, a fair legal case with both sides enlisting the best lawyers would help the society cultivate the spirit of law and justice. Politics and morality are separate issues [the prosecutor team may not be the best, and most likely only mediocre, but it should have the media and public behind]
- It was revealed by another DPP legilator that CSB's wife Wu lied blatantly about her meeting an exile criminal Chen Youhao, and Chen alleged money was passed in that meeting. Wu refused to comment. To the public this is like admitting she had lie. It is not against the law if she did not lie in court. But the event itself (and the lies) is as serious as bribery.
- Similarly, Bian sweared Wu did not take the Sogo gift certificates, he would step down if that is the case. Such swears are common among politicians, but not many people keep their promises. Not sure what Bian is going to do if that is indeed the case.
- Blood relationship cannot be cut off. But power and authority(&respect) can be. Power comes from position, authority comes from honesty. Bian still has power, but lost authority(&respect). How lame and pale is power without authority and respect?
1. There are rational people in Taiwan
2. Jiang has criticized pan-Blue and Ma Ying-Jeou before. He is also defend Chen Shui Bian about the lawyer issue here. You do not have to side with one camp and write good comments.
3. Some views from Taiwan discounted Apple Daily as tabloid. Despite all its faults, Apple Daily can be very good. (to Jimmy Lai, this is what we want to see from Apple Daily HK and Taiwan)
Related: Give Annette Lu a chance by Du Nianchung (cached below)